Private tenants

Tenants' rights

You are a tenant if you live in a property for money, called 'rent'. The agreement or contract with your landlord doesn't have to be in writing. It can be a verbal agreement.

If you live with or share some rooms with your landlord, you are a lodger not a tenant.

You’ll have certain rights and responsibilities if you’re a tenant in privately rented property. Go to GOV.UK: Private renting for information.

By law, rented houses and flats must be 'fit for human habitation', which means that they are safe, healthy and free from things that could cause serious harm. Go to GOV.UK: Fitness for habitation, tenants' guide for information.

As a tenant you have the right to live in your home undisturbed. You can get advice on:

In cases of illegal eviction we can take a landlord to court. We work with solicitors who can get you re-entry to your home.

Information and advice

You can get independent information about your rights as private tenant by going to the London Landlords Accreditation Scheme tenants' portal.

For more advice, contact Thurrock Citizens Advice or our private housing service.

Citizens Advice South Essex – Thurrock
The Beehive Voluntary and Community Resource Centre, High Street, Grays, RM17 6XP

: 0300 330 2101

Citizens Advice South Essex – Thurrock.

Private Housing service
Thurrock Council, Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL